Deep cleaning your kitchen isn’t an easy task. You have to scrub, organise, clean, and toss things out of your fridge and cupboard, off your counters, and out of the drawers. On top of that cleaning your oven can be a grueling task. This type of deep cleaning of the kitchen doesn’t get done often, however with the holidays around the corner, you may want to tackle this task.
This is the ultimate top to bottom kitchen cleaning guide. It will tell you what to use, where to start, how to be efficient, and other useful tips when cleaning your kitchen and cleaning your oven.
Start With a Plan
This type of deep cleaning requires a plan. You need to know where and when to begin. You should decide how deep of a cleaning you want to do in your kitchen before you get started. If you want to tackle all the appliances and every nook and cranny in the kitchen, you need to start with a checklist.
Make Your Checklist
When you begin creating your checklist, you need to start with every task that you want to do. Under each task, you need to list what should be done to complete each task.
Here is a sample checklist
Clean stovetop and oven
- Gather necessary materials to use
- Make a DIY oven cleaning paste
- Use a vinegar and water solution to wipe down the outside of the oven and stovetop
- Heat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit
- Turn off the oven and apply the DIY paste inside the oven let it sit while cleaning the rest of the kitchen or overnight
- Clean out the storage drawer at the bottom of the oven
- Clean behind and around the oven (food and splattered grease is known to get stuck in these areas.
Clean fridge and freezer
- Pull everything out
- Clean shelves and drawers with soapy water
- Toss out expired and/or old food and condiments
- Put all other items back in fridge and freezer
- Use this time to organize everything as you are putting it back
- Clean the exterior, including door handles
- Take everything out of each cupboard
- Wipe all the shelves with cleaner and a soft cloth
- Go through items and toss out old, unused, and expired items
- Make sure anything that is opened is placed in airtight containers
- Place everything back in the cupboards, organizing as you go
Clean storage and utensil drawers
- Take everything out of the drawers.
- Using a soft cloth and DIY all-purpose spray, clean the inside of the drawers.
- Go through the items in the drawers and toss out anything that you are not using. Rule of thumb if you haven’t touched it in a year, get rid of it.
Clean other appliances
- Clean the microwave inside and out, including the turntable.
- Clean small appliances like toasters, coffee maker, blender, etc.
- Clean other appliances like an air fryer, panini press, waffle maker
- Empty out your dishwasher and drainboard, wash all dishes
- Spray DIY all-purpose cleaner on inside and outside of dishwasher and wipe with a soft cloth
- Clear all the clutter off the counters
- Spray the counters and wipe with a cloth
- Wipe all cabinets and walls
- Clean the top of the cabinets and appliances
- Wipe down doors including handles and hinges
- Take out the garbage and clean the garbage can inside and out before placing a new bag inside.
- Clean your sink with dish detergent and a soft sponge and throw an orange or lemon peel in the garbage disposal and run it.
- Using an old toothbrush clean the grout (dirt and debris is often found in these spots)
- Wipe down the baseboards
- Sweep the corners of the kitchen underneath appliances
- Use your vacuum to pick everything up rather than sweeping it. This prevents everything from going into the grout and corners of the kitchen.
- Mop the floors
Gather Your Tools
With your checklist in hand, you need to gather all the supplies that you will need to clean the kitchen.
Here are some items you will need to clean:
- Mop, broom, and vacuum
- Cleaning bucket
- Clean unused spray bottles
- Baking soda
- Hot water
- Distilled white vinegar
- Dish detergent
- Sponge, old toothbrush, cleaning rags
- Fresh lemon juice
- Silicone spatula
- Mixing bowls or containers
After you gather your tools, you should make a few DIY cleaning solutions and put them in the spray bottles. Here are some recipes for DIY cleaners:
DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
- 2 cups of hot water
- 1 cup of white distilled vinegar
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
DIY Oven Cleaning Paste
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of water
Mix the ingredients together in a small boxing bowl until a spreadable paste is formed. Set aside 2 cups of vinegar in a clean spray bottle. This will be used to wipe down areas when you are using baking soda paste.
Top to Bottom Cleaning
Now that you have what you need to clean the kitchen you can begin your top to bottom deep cleaning. You should start with the stovetop and oven. Pull out the oven racks and place them in a large garbage bag. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Turn off the oven after it is preheated. Put on rubber cleaning gloves and begin spreading the oven cleaning paste on the oven racks and inside the oven using the silicone spatula.
Tie the bin bag with the oven racks and set aside. The racks will need to soak overnight. You will also need to let the paste sit 12-24 hours inside the oven. After you have begun cleaning your oven and applied the paste, go down the checklist, and complete each section. The only section you will skip over is cleaning the floors.
Take the oven racks out of the bags and rinse them completely and allow them to dry. When the oven is ready to be wiped down, spray vinegar everywhere that you applied the paste. Put on your rubber gloves and wipe the inside with a sponge and soft cloth. Once the oven racks are dried, place them back in the oven.
After everything on the checklist has been completed including the oven, you can clean the floors.
Once all the tasks for the kitchen cleaning have been completed, you can go through and add final touches. This includes placing magnets on the refrigerator and freezer, cleaning your cleaning tools, and lighting a candle. This is your ultimate top to bottom kitchen cleaning guide that you can use anytime you need to get down and dirty in the kitchen.
Popular places in Dubai in summer-autumn season 2021 An absolutely incredible aesthetic place is the Social by Heinz Beck restaurant at the Waldorf...
New builds are a great option for people who like a modern home. You can move in and enjoy being in a fresh space that no one has lived in before....
When choosing your next home improvement project, there is so much to consider! Most homeowners want to improve the aesthetic of their property...