As a landlord it is your sole responsibility to ensure that you meet all legal requirements.  You can’t blame lack of awareness or your letting agent.  It is down to you - if you don’t meet these requirements you could face prosecution.  

It’s a scary thought; so knowledge is the key.  Even if you have a letting agent managing your property, make sure that you are familiar with your legal responsibilities and you’ll be covered.

We have produced a legal checklist for you to go through to make sure you're covered.   Please note that HMO properties have their own legal requirements.

You can request a copy of the legal checklist by entering your details in the sign up box on the left.


Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

 energy performance certificate


Energy Performance Certificates are issued once a full energy assessment of your rental property has been completed by a qualified Energy Assessor.

Energy Performance Certificates are a legal requirement when letting a property to a tenant in England, Scotland or Wales and landlords have a duty to provide the tenant with a copy of the EPC or it will invalidate a Section 21 Notice (England).

You can search the EPC register here:

Gas Safety Certificate (CP12)

gas safe certificate

Landlord Gas Safety Certificates (CP12) and inspections for rental properties are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Landlords are required to hold a valid Gas Safety Certificate where a rental property has a gas supply to an appliance or the central heating is fired by gas.  Gas Safety Regulations 1998 states that the Gas Safety Certificate is to be renewed every 12 months.


Fixed Wiring Test (EICR)

Fixed Wiring Test

Periodic electrical safety inspection testing of rental properties fixed wiring circuits conducted by our nationwide network of electrical engineers.

Landlords letting property in the UK have a legal obligation to ensure that the property being let is safe to occupy.  As such, ensuring the electrics in the property are not damaged or worn out, through wear and tear, is an important check to make every 5 years.


Portable Appliance Test (PAT)

Portable Appliance Testing

Portable appliance testing (PAT test) carried out by an electrical engineers to ensure that a property's electrical items are safe to use.

If you are letting a property in the UK, one of the most important legal obligations of a landlord is to ensure that the property being let is safe to occupy. As a result, Health and Safety regulations require that electrical appliances are safe and would not cause harm to any tenant using them.


Protect yourself from Property Fraud

Property fraud is where fraudsters try to “steal” your property, most commonly by pretending to be you and selling or mortgaging your property without your knowledge. Sign up to Property Alert with the Land Registry, this is a free service and you can choose up to 10 properties to monitor. It will notify you if anyone attempts to change the legal title or other activities. 

Sign up to Property Alert here

Watch the 3 minute video below to find out more about how to protect your property from fraudsters.

Read more in our 'Protecting yourself from property fraud article'


Subcategories from this category:

Insurance, Conveyancing, Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

The 2011 home insurance postcode lottery

The cost to insure your home and its contents is steadily on the rise. Since January 2010 we have seen a national average rise of just six per cent or 2.5 pence per day, however new data from price comparison site Money Supermarket has shown that in some areas prices have rose by an astonishing 46 per cent. This is the sad truth for residents of Dorking in Surrey where their home insurance premiums have now risen from an average of £119 to £174 over the last 14 months. That is an increase of 15 pence per day. Greater London seems to have been hit hardest with five areas in the top twenty. Julie Owens, head of home insurance at said: “Unfortunately for consumers, things look set to get worse with the increase in prices unlikely to slow down in the coming years. As our research shows, some areas...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
1560 Hits

Just £330 + VAT for Conveyancing (what a bargain)

A 22% discount for conveyancing with Convey With Me, just £330 plus VAT for Just Do Property subscribers.
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
990 Hits

Can you put a price on life?

[caption id="attachment_1815" align="alignright" width="150" caption="Can you put a price on life?"][/caption] Of course not, no amount of money can ever compensate for the death of a loved one. However, whilst it cannot ease the pain, cash from a life assurance policy can help with the financial difficulties that often arise as a result. Where most people will have insured their home, possessions and car, often the most important element is overlooked – you! If you have life assurance to protect your family in the event of your death, you will receive peace of mind in the knowledge that if anything should happen to you, those you leave behind will be taken care of financially. Life cover will ensure that your family will have money at the time when they will need it most. So, how do you decide how much cover you need and which is the most appropriate plan for...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
832 Hits

New University Year! Make sure your Landlord Insurance is up to scratch.

The new university year is upon us. In no time at all it will be Freshers week, where thousands of students hit the bars and clubs in your local area. From drinking games to pub crawls, anything goes during this week of alcohol fuelled madness. Will your landlord insurance cover you when they bring the party back to your home? Freshers week can be a worrying time for landlords, because they have probably been there themselves, and know exactly what goes on. Its three oclock in the morning and the students are making their way out of the clubs and the only place left to go is home. After a night of Buy One, Get Two Free and £1 a Shot drinks promotions, nobody wants the party to stop. Its their first time away from home and your tenant has made a lot of new friends, so when they invite ten...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
1759 Hits

Landlord insurance is a cheap essential

New landlords who are waiting out the property market by renting out their homes should make sure they have the appropriate insurance. This is according to one comparison site, which notes that landlord insurance can be bought for under £100 from Simple insurance. warns landlords coming into the private rented sector for the first time that they must first ensure they are protected against arrears. The rise in new landlords is attributed to growing tenant demand, landlords planning to expand their portfolios and increased availability of buy-to-let financing in the market. In addition, including cover for other contingencies can also save more trouble in the long-term. Julie Owens, head of insurance at the site, said: "Landlord insurance which includes Rent Guarantee cover or legal expenses can be more expensive, however if things go wrong between a landlord and tenant legal proceedings can involve a hefty cost. "It is important to have...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
828 Hits