As a landlord it is your sole responsibility to ensure that you meet all legal requirements.  You can’t blame lack of awareness or your letting agent.  It is down to you - if you don’t meet these requirements you could face prosecution.  

It’s a scary thought; so knowledge is the key.  Even if you have a letting agent managing your property, make sure that you are familiar with your legal responsibilities and you’ll be covered.

We have produced a legal checklist for you to go through to make sure you're covered.   Please note that HMO properties have their own legal requirements.

You can request a copy of the legal checklist by entering your details in the sign up box on the left.


Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

 energy performance certificate


Energy Performance Certificates are issued once a full energy assessment of your rental property has been completed by a qualified Energy Assessor.

Energy Performance Certificates are a legal requirement when letting a property to a tenant in England, Scotland or Wales and landlords have a duty to provide the tenant with a copy of the EPC or it will invalidate a Section 21 Notice (England).

You can search the EPC register here:

Gas Safety Certificate (CP12)

gas safe certificate

Landlord Gas Safety Certificates (CP12) and inspections for rental properties are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Landlords are required to hold a valid Gas Safety Certificate where a rental property has a gas supply to an appliance or the central heating is fired by gas.  Gas Safety Regulations 1998 states that the Gas Safety Certificate is to be renewed every 12 months.


Fixed Wiring Test (EICR)

Fixed Wiring Test

Periodic electrical safety inspection testing of rental properties fixed wiring circuits conducted by our nationwide network of electrical engineers.

Landlords letting property in the UK have a legal obligation to ensure that the property being let is safe to occupy.  As such, ensuring the electrics in the property are not damaged or worn out, through wear and tear, is an important check to make every 5 years.


Portable Appliance Test (PAT)

Portable Appliance Testing

Portable appliance testing (PAT test) carried out by an electrical engineers to ensure that a property's electrical items are safe to use.

If you are letting a property in the UK, one of the most important legal obligations of a landlord is to ensure that the property being let is safe to occupy. As a result, Health and Safety regulations require that electrical appliances are safe and would not cause harm to any tenant using them.


Protect yourself from Property Fraud

Property fraud is where fraudsters try to “steal” your property, most commonly by pretending to be you and selling or mortgaging your property without your knowledge. Sign up to Property Alert with the Land Registry, this is a free service and you can choose up to 10 properties to monitor. It will notify you if anyone attempts to change the legal title or other activities. 

Sign up to Property Alert here

Watch the 3 minute video below to find out more about how to protect your property from fraudsters.

Read more in our 'Protecting yourself from property fraud article'


Subcategories from this category:

Insurance, Conveyancing, Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Home maintenance: could you be risking an unpaid insurance claim this winter?

  AXA has urged homeowners to carry out any essential home maintenance as the weather worsens, to avoid facing an unpaid insurance claim this winter. According to research from the insurer, every year it rejects one in 20 storm damage claims because the wear and tear has not actually been caused by the weather, but by a lack of home maintenance. Yet almost two thirds (59%) of policyholders would expect to successfully claim for any weather-related damage, no matter what the condition of their home. 23% of homeowners also think that a home insurance policy will cover the cost for any sort of structural damage caused by wear and tear. In recent years, the UK has seen winter weather get increasingly severe, from heavy snow to rainfall causing flooding. Indeed, around 25% of homeowners have had some kind of winter weather-related damage caused to their property in the past. Things...
Rate this blog entry:
Подробнее на сайте: https://buildthehouse.ru http://repair-yourself.ruhttps://currenthouse.ruhttps://buildbighouse.ru
Continue reading
415 Hits

Five Tips to Pay Less on Home Insurance

Buying home insurance can get to be fairly expensive if youre not careful about the shopping process. There are a few simple tricks that you can put to use in order to get a good deal on your home insurance. The biggest determining factor will be how much insurance you want, of course, but these five key points can get you a great deal if you know where to shop: 1. Improve Your Credit Even if you have a lot of bad loans and other problems to overcome, whatever little you can do to improve your credit will help. Even if you cant pay off every single debt you owe, you can still make a dent in your debt and that will generally have a positive effect on what you pay for your insurance. 2. The Neighbourhood Counts A great way to get home insurance is to move into a...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
1269 Hits

Different kinds of Home Insurance policies

Your home is an important asset and worth protecting by taking out home insurance. There are two main types of home insurance; these are building insurance and home contents insurance. Building insurance is coverage for the structure of your home. Contents insurance is coverage for the items found within your home. When taking out home insurance you can get both types of coverage combined into one policy. Insurance companies also offer specialised home insurance policies which are designed for specific types of property. Building insurance protects the permanent structures that make up your home. This would include walls, roof, floors, windows and more. Not only does building insurance cover the dwelling itself but it also covers the land where the dwelling is located. Other features such as garages, patios, gates and fences may also be included. When taking out building coverage your mortgage company will probably require that you take...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
810 Hits

Landlord Insurance

Being a landlord can be a great way to make yourself a bit of extra cash in the short term and provide you with a little bit extra when you come to retire. Many go into the business of property with this dream but do not consider the costs that come with being a landlord. This is where landlords insurance comes in handy as it can cover you against all possibilities where you could come across financial problems. There are a wide variety of landlords insurance policies such as landlords buildings insurance out there, each ranging in price so it is important to pick out the right one for you and your situation. Landlords insurance will cover a wide range of situations under which your property may be damaged or you may find yourself out of pocket. Say your property was damaged by a fire or a flood, your tenants would...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
934 Hits

Will changes to EPCs make landlords and tenants more energy conscious?

From 6th April 2012, landlords and letting agents will be required to produce a new Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for all rental properties in England and Wales to bring the rules for selling and letting a property into line.   From 6th April 2012, landlords and letting agents will be required to produce a new Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for all rental properties in England and Wales to bring the rules for selling and letting a property into line. The Landlord Syndicate, a network of companies providing a complete and free support centre for landlords, comments on what landlords should consider in light of these changes. The new rules mean that landlords and letting agents must ensure an EPC has been commissioned before they begin to market their property and Trading Standards officials will be given powers to check up whether this has been done. The front page of the EPC...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
830 Hits