As a landlord it is your sole responsibility to ensure that you meet all legal requirements.  You can’t blame lack of awareness or your letting agent.  It is down to you - if you don’t meet these requirements you could face prosecution.  

It’s a scary thought; so knowledge is the key.  Even if you have a letting agent managing your property, make sure that you are familiar with your legal responsibilities and you’ll be covered.

We have produced a legal checklist for you to go through to make sure you're covered.   Please note that HMO properties have their own legal requirements.

You can request a copy of the legal checklist by entering your details in the sign up box on the left.


Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

 energy performance certificate


Energy Performance Certificates are issued once a full energy assessment of your rental property has been completed by a qualified Energy Assessor.

Energy Performance Certificates are a legal requirement when letting a property to a tenant in England, Scotland or Wales and landlords have a duty to provide the tenant with a copy of the EPC or it will invalidate a Section 21 Notice (England).

You can search the EPC register here:

Gas Safety Certificate (CP12)

gas safe certificate

Landlord Gas Safety Certificates (CP12) and inspections for rental properties are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Landlords are required to hold a valid Gas Safety Certificate where a rental property has a gas supply to an appliance or the central heating is fired by gas.  Gas Safety Regulations 1998 states that the Gas Safety Certificate is to be renewed every 12 months.


Fixed Wiring Test (EICR)

Fixed Wiring Test

Periodic electrical safety inspection testing of rental properties fixed wiring circuits conducted by our nationwide network of electrical engineers.

Landlords letting property in the UK have a legal obligation to ensure that the property being let is safe to occupy.  As such, ensuring the electrics in the property are not damaged or worn out, through wear and tear, is an important check to make every 5 years.


Portable Appliance Test (PAT)

Portable Appliance Testing

Portable appliance testing (PAT test) carried out by an electrical engineers to ensure that a property's electrical items are safe to use.

If you are letting a property in the UK, one of the most important legal obligations of a landlord is to ensure that the property being let is safe to occupy. As a result, Health and Safety regulations require that electrical appliances are safe and would not cause harm to any tenant using them.


Protect yourself from Property Fraud

Property fraud is where fraudsters try to “steal” your property, most commonly by pretending to be you and selling or mortgaging your property without your knowledge. Sign up to Property Alert with the Land Registry, this is a free service and you can choose up to 10 properties to monitor. It will notify you if anyone attempts to change the legal title or other activities. 

Sign up to Property Alert here

Watch the 3 minute video below to find out more about how to protect your property from fraudsters.

Read more in our 'Protecting yourself from property fraud article'


Subcategories from this category:

Insurance, Conveyancing, Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Essential services landlords should provide

  There's more to being a landlord than just letting somebody live in a house or a flat in return for money. Landlords do have certain obligations to their tenants, both legally and morally, but unfortunately not all landlords meet these obligations all of the time. They can get away with it because often their tenants wont want to make a fuss. There are several reasons why this could be the case. The tenant may not realise that the landlord is breaking the law. Alternatively, the landlord may not technically be breaking the law, but is still failing to provide the level of service a tenant should expect. In both cases, a tenant might not complain for fear of a rent increase that they cant afford, or worse, eviction. Property management Many landlords choose to work with a property management company. Reputable managers like Hamilton King will provide a full service...
Rate this blog entry:
Подробнее на сайте: https://ultimnews.ruGo to top of page
https://holdnews.ruhttps://newsexplore.ruhttps://newshead.ru https://news101.ru https://estascredit.ru https://pc-room.ruhttps://flarenews.ru
Continue reading
1540 Hits

Legionella Testing - Question and Answer

  As you may know, it is now law for all residential properties to have a risk assessment in place for Legionella. Similar to the legal requirement of a CP12 and EPC certifications, landlords are now required to have a risk assessment carried out of every properties water system. The aim of a risk assessment is to assess the water system in place to ensure no high risks are present that could possibly be fatal. There is useful information on the Health and Safety Executive website.  Please follow the link to their website that outlines your duty and the enforcement around this; Also, heres a short video from RICS - Property Standards Director, Peter Bolton King FRICS puts members legionnella testing questions their UK Residential Director, Andrew Bulmer FRICS.    
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
1147 Hits

13 Great Tips and Hints for Controlled Conveyancing

Conveyancing quotes come in all forms and give various bits of information. Check thoroughly, especially if your quote appears cheaper than most as those firms are likely to apply charges later which are hidden now and in the end you could pay more than a reasonable quote.
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
1160 Hits

The strong future growth of conveyancing

After a recent Conveyancer Sentiment Survey conducted by SearchFlow the conveyancing industry is predicting strong future growth. The findings from this survey are extremely promising for all involved in the industry.
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
909 Hits

New consumer redress scheme starts to receive complaints about property agent members

Press Notice 19th January 2015 London The Property Redress Scheme (PRS) is seeing an increasing number of consumer complaints being made against Lettings, Property Management and Estate Agent Members now that their Consumers are being made aware of their right to redress. The PRS is one of three consumer redress schemes authorised by the government whose role it is to provide fair and reasonable resolutions to disputes between members of the public and property agents. By law, all Agents, as defined by legislation, must be a member of one of these three schemes. The number of complaints raised with the PRS is increasing month on month. Of the complaints raised so far, 44% were by Landlords and 41% were by Tenants, with the remaining 15% being raised by Buyers and Sellers of property. The complaints have varied widely in content, with the top three grievances being unfair or excessive fees...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
1024 Hits