Landlords, you will know that owning a buy to let isn’t as simple as just letting your property to a third party.  There are contracts, referencing, liabilities and maintenance but most of all the uncertainty of having somebody you do not know live in your property.  This is why you need to be fully protected in all areas of your investment.

You wouldn’t insure half of your car so why insure your property without protecting it as best you can, leaving the premises and yourself vulnerable to large non-recoverable costs.

Properties can be let in various ways to various tenants.  All insurance companies have their preferred and excluded types, however choosing the correct insurer, who provides necessary and proper cover, can prove tricky.

The rise of rent-to-rent, serviced accommodation and the HMO boom are regular declines from insurers so it wise to speak to an expert.  Here at Insurance-Desk we are property brokers run by a staff of property owners.  We can place your property needs from large HMO’s, Rent-to-Rent, Council and Vulnerable tenants, unoccupied/undergoing development, standard residential/commercial let and much more.  We analyse your needs and make sure we offer the necessary protection but at market leading rates with expert advice.

Below are a few areas of cover, to highlight: (which many insurers don’t provide necessary cover)


Malicious Damage by Tenant

A lot of insurers will limit their liability in this area, if cover provided at all, to £5,000 or £10,000 to protect themselves from a major incident.  This has the potential to leave you heavily out of pocket because we have seen malicious damage claims rise to £20,000+.  If the tenant/s decided to completely destroy the property, leave it in a mess or even set fire to the premises, the claim will quickly rise above the insurer limit.  To lower your risk, you should have a policy that has no limit and protects malicious damage by tenant claims up to the sum insured.

Contents Cover

Many landlords let their properties unfurnished so feel contents cover is not required.  Carpets, floor coverings, blinds/curtains and white goods are all classified as contents so damage to these would not be covered.  New carpets can be costly so with the above in mind, contents cover should be sought after.  Look for insurers who offer cover for this as standard, so you do not need to pay any premium for the cover, usually a £10,000 limit is sufficient.

Un-occupancy Length

Tenants may vacate your premises for several different reasons.  This can be unexpectant or at the end of their AST.  It may even be because the end of the tenancy agreement is the perfect time for you to carry out renovation on the property (You may still need to refer renovation works to be accepted).  Whatever the reason maybe, it will leave your property unoccupied in the interim.  This is another area where your cover may fall short because there is only a 30 day unoccupancy allowance.  After this time, the insurer will look to reduce cover to minimum perils (Fire, Lightening, Earthquake, Explosion & Aircraft) and may even charge an unoccupied rate.  Look for insurers offering extended un-occupancy periods such as 60 days or even 90 days.  This provides flexibility and allows you to proceed with your plans without the rush.


Legal Expenses

Let’s face it, not many of us are experts in contract law and legal issues.  Having an AST or other tenancy contract is legally binding so what happens when things go wrong.  Say a tenant refuses to leave your property at the end of an agreement or refuses to pay rent and you want your property back?  Defence costs, legal representation and fees can be very expensive let alone stressful.

This cover will provide you with legal assistance to repossess your property, evict squatters, disputes over property damage, rent recovery and other legal representation.

Rent Guarantee

At the end of the day the reason we let a property is for the income, so why not protect it???  Maybe because its provided as a separate policy at an extra cost.  With portfolio landlords the extra rent cover costs may outweigh the potential risk of a tenancy dispute arising.  Fear not, we have access to a product that includes this with your cover at NO EXTRA COST.  It even provides cover for multiple tenancy in a HMO and student lets etc.  We can also provide this as a standalone cover if necessary.

The legal expenses, as mentioned above, element of a policy may include cover to recover any rental arrears, however this repayment is not guaranteed.  Having a rent guarantee extension means that any missed rental payments from your tenants can be claimed from your insurance.  This allows you to keep up with any potential mortgage payments and protects your rental income.  Without this cover, a lengthy legal claim could cost your thousands in lost rent, let alone the legal costs.

Whether you are looking for a quote, advice or cover contact us today – 01296 329610 or email us through

The Necessity of Landlord Insurance

All business is an exercise in reducing costs and maximising income and it’s absolutely essential for business owners, just as it is for landlords, so they seek to reduce their costs wherever they can. Particularly in property letting, where short of buying a new property or increasing your rent, costs like landlord insurance come under particular scrutiny. It’s understandable that many landlords are keen to cut down on their insurance costs. Of course, if all goes well, it is something which you’ll never use! For some, landlord insurance is an essential and if you’re letting an HMO, you simply don’t have a choice over buying a policy. Yet for some, it’s a cost that can, but shouldn’t be avoided. Insurance as Credit The traditional way to view landlord insurance is to think of it purely in the negative, a little like a bill that gets paid. However, a better way...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
1239 Hits

What is Landlord Insurance For?

It’s compulsory in many places for landlords to hold landlord insurance (also sometimes referred to as buy-to-let insurance), which is a specific type of cover for those who are renting out their property. It’s something that can prove to be very important indeed, with many people spending a good deal of time researching it to make sure that they have a helping hand should the worst happen. Here’s what it’s all about: Buildings Cover The main thing that this type of insurance covers, is the building and structure itself. There are many potential hazards that could leave a landlord very much out of pocket, ranging from fire risks, to subsidence to extremely rare occurrences such as terrorism. These are all things that can be insured against with one of these policies. Fire in particular is something that all homeowners must be aware of as it can be prevented, but then...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
1941 Hits

Tips when comparing life insurance options

  Comparing life insurance providers is not any easy task. Whilst most consumers will often only look at the costs of products or services before making their purchasing decision, life cover requires a few factors to be considered before an educated decision can be made on which provider and policy to go for. Here’s what you need to think about: Benefits For example, will your provider include added benefits such as paying out early? Reputation of provider Ordinarily, the reputation of the company providing a service or product is paramount. This is even more so with life cover; the reputation of a provider provides peace of mind (and a proven track record) that dependents will be adequately provided for without any obstacles. Underwriting criteria It’s important to consider the criteria for which providers will evaluate claims. Will a simple doctors’ note suffice or is a full medical needed? If it’s...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
759 Hits

Stark warning from Total Landlord Insurance as landlord faces £1million Public Liability case

An ongoing Public Liability claim received by Total Landlord Insurance, which could reach in excess of £1million, presents a stark reminder to landlords of the need for adequate insurance cover. In the last two years, public liability claims received by Total Landlord Insurance have reached an estimated £1.7million. These claims are the slips, trips and falls by tenants that have taken place at a property where the landlord is found responsible and although often unavoidable, without insurance protection such incidents can prove extremely costly for landlords. In an ongoing case being handled by Total Landlord Insurance, the guest of a tenant, fell from a set of stairs and claimed that the stairs were not ‘fit for purpose’.  Because the claimant is of a young age, if the landlord is found legally liable as a result of negligence, the cost of the claim is likely to escalate into several millions including...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
964 Hits

A guide to home insurance

    With the economy in turmoil, it’s wise to protect your belongings in any way you can. This might mean taking out home insurance with a well-known company – so let’s find out more.   What is home insurance? Home insurance – also known as hazard insurance or homeowner’s insurance (HOI) – is a type of property insurance. It covers private homes and can safeguard your investment from a wide range of problems and incidents including damage, theft and loss of contents. There are many different policies available, but at least one of the people named on the contract has to live at the property. What does building insurance cover? Buildings insurance can protect your abode from factors that are completely out of your control such as fires, floods, burst pipes or third-party vandalism. It will put your mind at ease if an emergency occurs and will give you the financial support...
Rate this blog entry:
Continue reading
1043 Hits