In recent years, more people have started embracing technology in one way or another. From communication systems to security, innovations have become part and parcel of the world we live in today. Perhaps one area rarely talked about and is constantly growing are automated gate and door systems. And you should expect smart locks and smart doors to be a part of every smart home within the next decade. (1)
However, despite all the available materials and innovative techniques, many people are still unsure how to protect their homes using this new technology. Remember, although automatic gates offer more security than traditional ones, that’s no guarantee, unless you put a number of safeguards in place.
That said, here’s how you could protect your home with this new technology:
- Configure sensitivity setting
Just like any other piece of technology, regular configuration is required once you automate your gate security. Sensitivity setting, for one, is crucial for automatic swing gates. Keep in mind that the wind strength in your area can significantly affect how these gates operate.
Therefore, you’ll need to adjust the sensitivity setting and any other relevant configuration depending on the surrounding conditions. You’d be wise to consult an expert to avoid any unnecessary damages to oftentimes costly security upgrades like automatic gates.
- Boost security with additional features
Although automatic gate security can work without any additional features, experts and suppliers always recommend you install closed-circuit television (CCTV) units and alarm systems to boost security. With accessories as the following, you’ll be making your home even more secure:
- Security cameras: If you visit any home with an automated gate, you’ll notice security cameras installed just above your head. This is one of the most effective security measures you can add to your system. CCTVs installed outside the gate act as deterrents to any would-be intruder, since you’ll have an extra layer of security looking over your home.
Since CCTVs record all the events happening around the gate, the footage will come in handy for especially larger properties, as you’ll have a way to survey your area without having to visit them physically. The footage would also stand as evidence in case of any crimes in and around your property.
- Alarm systems: Regardless of how robust your automatic gate system is, some intruders may still be tempted to trespass. This is where an alarm system with sound comes into play. The two main types of alarm systems you can install include a warning beacon and a silent alarm. The former is mainly used to deter intruders and, at the same time, alert the owner.
On the other hand, silent alarms are designed to alert the owner, a contracted security agency or the authorities. To bolster your security, it might be a good idea to install both options. Apart from making your automatic gate system even more robust, alarm systems could also increase the value of your property in case you plan to sell it in the future.
- Smartphone control: With the current advancements in the world of technology, it’s a lot easier to access data and take control of automatic systems remotely. You can do the same with your automated gate by linking it with a smartphone app. This way, you’ll not only be able to control the gate remotely but also see who’s there (if you’ve linked your security cameras with another app) before opening it from the comfort of your seat.
One disadvantage of anything mechanical and electrical is the fact that they can break down at any time. Imagine a situation where intruders gain access to your property simply because your automatic gate malfunctioned. To avoid such instances, you must carry out the recommended maintenance schedule.
First, you’ll need to keep your gate constantly clean. This might seem like a simple, rational idea, but it goes a long way in enhancing its durability. You’d want to have your gate in good condition for as many years as possible, wouldn’t you? Another way of ensuring this is by waxing, repainting or oiling it from time to time. As you do all these, consider the manufacturer’s manual to avoid damages to the moving parts. (2)
Keep an eye on the electric components that control your gate. Remember, if any of these parts are tampered with, you might not have control of your automatic gate. It’d even be wiser to occasionally invite an expert to assess the operation and advise you on any recommended changes. For instance, if any software or hardware updates need to be installed, be sure to make these changes as soon as possible.
- Clear the area
Protecting your home with an automatic gate isn’t all about preventing intruders but also making sure any authorized user is safe. Since this is a mechanical system, the gate’s moving parts can easily cause injuries if not properly maintained enough. Therefore, to avoid such accidents, you must clear the area before closing or opening the gate.
Another precaution that you should keep in mind is the position of the controls. Most manufacturers recommend you consider the 10-foot rule, which demands that the controls must be installed at least ten feet from the gate. As such, the user won’t be in a position where they can touch the gate while operating it.
So you’ve installed an automatic gate system on your property and wondering what to do next. This is a notable step toward securing your home further, but you can always improve the security by adding extra features. For instance, a CCTV unit and an alarm system can go a long way in preventing intruders from trespassing your property.
To further protect your home with automatic gate security, you’ll need to adjust any necessary sensitivity configurations to match the surrounding conditions. Of course, you can always consult an expert for this kind of task if you’ve no prior experience. Finally, be sure to carry out regular maintenance on your gate, which should include occasional cleaning and oiling.
- “12 Pieces Of Tech Every Smart Home Will Have Within The Next Decade”, Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2020/02/07/12-pieces-of-tech-every-smart-home-will-have-within-the-next-decade/?sh=5952d9861d90
- “Tips To Rightfully Maintain Your Automatic Gate”, Source: https://medium.com/@industrialfencing/tips-to-rightly-maintain-your-automatic-gate-b4cf2f2705ba