Do you want a modern-looking home? Perhaps you bought an old house due to limited funding, and you feel like it’s too dated. Or maybe you owned the house for years, wanting to freshen it up. Regardless of the situation, there are many ways to make it look new again. Here are some of the things that will work.
- Repaint the Walls – A quick change of wall colour can turn an old home into a beautiful, modern style house. Most modern styles of design focus on simplicity. So using neutral shades, such as grey, whites, and beiges, will work wonders. If you’re not sure which one to use, you can look for inspirations in different home design publications, both online and in print. However, if you’re satisfied with the current colour palette, a simple touch-up will do, to hide all the tears and wear. Alternatively, you can use high-quality wallpaper. They’re not as cheap as paint, but they’re easy to apply and remove.
- Build a Suitable Outdoor Living Space – Most houses nowadays have an outdoor living space. To get on with the times, you’ll want to add a deck in your backyard. Not only decks extend your living space, but it can also increase value and comfort. Since building a deck can be expensive, it’s best to think long term. For this reason, composite decking is one of the better options. It can last for at least 25 years and is durable against outside elements. Aside from the deck, you’ll have to design your patio carefully, using matching furniture and complementing colour schemes.
- Update Your Fixtures – If your home is old, it likely has old fixtures that need replacing, such as faucets, outlets, and light switches. For light and electrical fixtures, replace them with new ones that will match the current theme or style of your house. Some old homes may use inefficient light bulbs, and replacing them with cost-efficient ones will make a big difference. You can also replace faucets in your kitchen and your bathroom.
- Set Up Lighting – Not only most of them are inefficient, but lighting designs in older homes are also likely outdated. If you want a modern-looking home, you’ll want to add different styles of lighting in your home, whether inside or outside. For the rooms or areas of relaxation, you can install ambient or mood lighting. On the other hand, you install task lighting on places where you do activities or work. On the exterior of your home, you can add decking lights, which also provides safety. String lights and lanterns are also affordable and popular lighting choices.
- Try Symmetry – Most people love symmetry in home design. It offers a more calming and polished look. When decorating your home, consider placing items in pairs. For instance, if you’re adding mirrors, you may place them at opposite ends of a hallway. You can also put two side tables at either side of the room to make symmetry. When buying decorations, you’ll want to buy in pairs.
- Try Lawn Alternatives – Not only is it expensive, but growing and maintaining a lawn is also time-consuming. Due to its high maintenance, most modern homes use lawn alternatives. For instance, you can use mulch instead of grass. It will make your garden more beautiful, and it will increase the quality of soil as well. If you want to stick with grass, you can also try using fake grass. They’re easier to maintain, safe, and can last for decades.
- Maintain and Organize Your Home – Modern homes are simplistic but beautiful, lacking any unnecessary clutter. If you want a modern-looking home, you’ll want to make your home as orderly as possible. Inside your home, you can consider building shelves. Not only do they add depth to rooms, but it can give you a place to store all your items. In your backyard, you’ll want to consider building a small shed or storage to place all your tools and supplies.